Friday 28 February 2014

Weekending

Well a weekend of solo parenting looms. I’m looking forward to these being at an end soon and so is the ABO. It’s only a week or so until we find out the roster for April and likely the ‘shenanigans’ that will bring. At least when he works weekends in the future, he’ll be here for breakfast or bedtime….unless they send him out of base but that’s a whole other story. I like to have a plan of action to get us out and about but still be able to do any jobs that we need to do.
So what are our plans for the weekend? I’ll need to go to the supermarket (ugh…on a weekend with 2 children…bet you wish you were me!).  I was hoodwinked into buying some pink glitter sprinkles and some hearts and flowers so BigR has requested some baking. I’m fully in favour of a nice madeira cake but am open to suggestions. I also need to buy a new mug. I’ve started a new role in a different office and obviously a new mug is a high priority. It needs to be comfy in the hand and reflect me but not be too expensive or have me care too much about it if someone else ‘steals’ it. Tricky eh?
 I think if the weather is good we’ll head out to the park or maybe to Harlow Carr to burn off some steam. LittleR is starting to walk but she’s not ready for that first outside walk yet so it needs to be somewhere buggy friendly. It’s possible I could meet up with a friend, her little boy (who’s 2 this week, once again I am reminded of the passing days, how does time move so quickly?)  and their dog (no Harlow Carr then) which would be nice for us all. Failing that some time in the garden would be good. We’d like to grow potatoes again this year so maybe a trip to the garden centre would be an idea to get some for first earlies.
When the girls are in bed I’m going to indulge in some TV, I’ve been waiting for this new series for what feels like forever. I’ll try and finish knitting the final pieces of dog I’ve been making for LittleR. I’m still working out how I’ll get the pieces to look like a dog but I’m hoping it’ll all come together in the sewing up/stuffing phase! I’m also hoping to sort through a big cupboard in our living room. It houses all our DVDs, photos, random instruction manuals for things we probably don’t have anymore and an assortment of things I’ve forgotten. I do love a big clear out. I’m thinking about getting rid of my old CDs and DVDs I don’t watch anymore. I have most of my music on the computer now (backed up lots of times) and we could do with the space that the CDs take up. Maybe I could consolidate them into sleeves or envelopes rather than keep the cases? When I was at University, I was music editor of the Uni paper; it sounds glam doesn’t it –the year I did it no one else wanted to! I wasn’t the best writer but free gig tickets and CDs made it worthwhile so my collection grew there and continued to grow. It’s only with the onset of downloads that I’m not avalanched under a pile of CDs!!! Anyway, what will probably happen is I’ll clear up, settle on the sofa with blogs and TV and not move until bedtime! Hope you all have a good weekend too.

The picture has really nothing to do with this post. We were on our way home and we were stopped in traffic. The rainbow looked so vibrant in real life and looks OK here taken with my phone!

6 comments:

  1. Hello!

    You have my sympathies: supermarket shopping on a weekend is bad enough. Doing it alone (little ones don't count - apart from obviously making it difficult) is doubly bad news. Good luck!

    I'm a sucker for a nice mug. Probably explains why we have so many mismatched ones in the cupboard. And I'm the only one in the house who drinks tea or coffee. Hope you find a nice one.

    TV, knitting and a clear-out all sound like wonderful weekend pursuits to me. And I hope you do get out somewhere nice. We visited Harlow Carr a few years back in a very mild October. I'd imagine it's pretty at this time of year too. Try to talk your friend out of bringing the dog! Oh, and if you do go - take lots of photos!

    Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the supermarket wasn't too bad! We were up VERY early (thanks BigR) so managed to finish before it became too horrible!

      Delete
  2. The picture is beautiful, even if unrelated. :) I feel for you having the weekend alone with the children; my husband travels for his job and I'm alone with my two a fair amount. I think your weekend plans sound great; you should be able to get a few things done and enjoy time with the girls, while letting them run off some energy, which should make your job a little bit easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very successful weekend I think. I know lots of people have to do the solo parenting thing...we just need to have 'plans' so I can manage :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you survived your weekend! My husband works in retail so lone-parenting weekends are often the norm for us. I don't mind it now but found it very hard when my two were small. It's a while since I've been to Roundhay Park. We're in west Leeds so it's not really near enough to pop in, but it's such a lovely space. (I love Silks too - yay for the new series!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weekend went quite well. I didn't have to take on my alter ego of "Shouty Mummy" (much). Shame we saved our park outing for Sunday when it poured down! :)

      Delete