Thursday 3 December 2015

The year in books :: December



Another month goes by but the reading bug has returned. Once again I have no idea why. Most probably it’s to do with the engaging books I have read rather than any great change in circumstance.
The first book I read in November was Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). I love this series of books. I love the characters Cormoron Strike and Robin Ellacott and the journeys they take ‘fighting crime’. This one kept me guessing (even if I guessed right) and it was the right mixture of scray gore with sensible storytelling. Cannot wait until the next one!

The second book I read is by an old favourite author, Ian Rankin. This, the 20th Rebus book, ‘Only Dogs in the Wild’ was another ‘unputdownable’ read. The characters he’s created in Rebus, Clarke and Cafferty along with relative newcomer Fox sustain any story. This story brings together two old rivals in Rebus and Cafferty and mixes the old and the new in their lives. A really good Rebus read.

For this month of December I’m going to try again at the Kate Atkinson novel ‘A God in Ruins’ and possibly an Agatha Christie I’ve found in the depths of my kindle. You never know what's going to happen though best laid plans and all that!


Joining in with Laura.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the third Cormoran Strike novel too. I haven't read this Kate Atkinson, but will be interested to hear what you think. I'm currently flipping between books and not settling on any of them.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Robert Galbraith until you and Christina mentioned 'him'... I do enjoy making these discoveries!
    As for Agatha Christie- I enjoy her books but never have the foggiest who's done what. Ditto with the TV adaptations. Having said that, a quiet episode of Poirot whilst eating chocolate is one of my favourite treats.
    Hope all's well with you and yours.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading nothing but crime fiction lately and have enjoyed re-reading a couple of Agatha Christie books, The Body in the Library and A Murder is announced. I had no idea who had done what until the final pages, but it's such fun! I must read some more Ian Rankin too. x

    ReplyDelete