Tuesday 5 August 2014

The year in books - August





I always knew July would be a difficult reading month. Especially if it was sunny (which it was in these parts). Please, let me get the excuses in first. The ABO and I both have birthdays in July and our anniversary so evenings spent reading might be spent making cakes or wrapping presents or, gasp, going out!!

In July I read most of ‘The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared’ (I cheated and finished it just into August). I really enjoyed the ride this book provided. It was utterly unbelievable and completely ridiculous but all the better for it. I wondered if one man could meet so many characters through history on his journey back to Sweden!  As a translated novel it stands the translation very well and the humour definitely travels.

For August I’ve chosen an Elizabeth Jane Howard novel. I read ‘Odd Girl Out’ a couple of years ago and loved it so after seeing some readers here choosing her novels I thought I’d dig out ‘The Light Years’. If I get through that I’ll return back to a thriller and read the latest Simon Kernick.

Joining in with Laura.

(once again the picture has nothing to do with the post...I love stained glass. Please excuse the building work outside!!!)

6 comments:

  1. Another lover of stained-glass windows here. I never tire of looking at them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either book but I think you'll be forgiven for not being a bookworm in such a busy month. Beautiful stained glass, I'm glad you shared it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a lovely window. I didn't manage much reading in July either. Too much to do in the summer I think. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just reading the new book by Jonas Jonasson, the girl who save the king of Sweden. It is as unbelievable and funny as the old man's hilarious adventures. Must goggle Elizabeth Jane Howard, I don't know this author yet. I went to the library for the first time in donkey's years because my reading habit is starting to get expensive again. Maybe they stock this author. Happy reading! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read about the 'The Hundred Year Old Man..' and isn't there a play or a film based on the book. Sadly these days I only read book reviews in the papers and not the actual books! I just can't find the time at the moment. Well done to you for persevering and I hope you'll enjoy the latest book you've chosen.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of these books which I had to return to the library before I finished it. A pity it seems it's worth sticking with.

    ReplyDelete